John Lyon Founder’s Day has been marked in the traditional manner, with the whole School gathering at St Mary’s Church to commemorate the man after who the School is named, in the place in which he is buried.
The service remembered the work and legacy of John Lyon, a philanthropic yeoman farmer who lived in the village of Preston in Harrow 450 years ago. In his lifetime he created what is now Harrow School, and then 300 years later in 1876 a new boys’ day school was opened and named after him.
In his address, the Mayor of Harrow, Councillor Nitin Parekh, spoke of the great work of John Lyon in his time and how his legacy lives on today, in the charitable and community work which remains an important part of School life.
Reverend Power spoke of the huge diversity of Harrow as a Borough and welcomed all pupils to visit the church’s Peace Chapel, regardless of their faith, at any time.
John Lyon Head, Katherine Haynes spoke at the start of the service, and Bible lessons were read by Deputy Head Boy Vivek Nanwani and Chariy Monitor Shiv Lakhani, Head Boy Husain Abedi reaf the School’s Charter and Deputy Head Boy Patrick Miles laid a wreath on the tomb of John Lyon.
The John Lyon Motet Choir, accompanied by organ, strings, brass and percussion performed Handel’s great Hallalujah Chorus and were joined by the congregation for the School Song and National Anthem.