John Lyon’s 2019 Secret Postcard Competition and Auction brings together the artwork of pupils, parents, staff and a handful of special entries from well-known artists, in what is both an art competition and charity fundraiser.
Almost 200 postcards have been designed and submitted in a range of media and styles, all shown below.
Among the anonymous postcards are works by:
- Jane McAdam Freud FRBS, conceptual sculptor
- Daniel Cordas, artist known for turning trainers into works of art, and Old Lyonian
- Srabani Ghosh, sculptural ceramicist, and John Lyon parent
- Brin Edwards, wildlife artist and illustrator, Old Lyonian
- Pam Zenkawich, Canadian Artist
- Keir Menzies, illustrator
- Grace Adam, artist
- Georgia Peskett, artist
- Christina Verden, fashion designer, and John Lyon parent
- Lydia Woods, illustrator
- Morwenna Farrell, illustrator
- Bethany Vargeson, illustrator
- Izzie Atkinson, illustrator
- Danny Bokenham, photographer
- Lorna Hope, artist, John Lyon Head of Art
- Nick Brown, artist, John Lyon Teacher of Art
- Courtney Burley, artist, John Lyon Teacher of Art
Every postcard submitted by a John Lyon pupil is automatically entered into the Secret Postcard Competition, with the best single artwork selected by our guest judge, renowned sculptor Nathaniel Rackowe, awarded a cash prize and valuable School House points.
Every postcard is also for sale, via online auction, which runs from Friday 17th September until midday on Wednesday 9th October.
Both the winning artwork and all the successful bids and bidders will be revealed at a special exhibition in the John Lyon Mall Gallery from 4.15 – 6.30pm on Wednesday 9th October.
Bidding on the Secret Postcard Competition is simple.
- Browse the selection below, clicking on any image you want to see in more detail
- Take a note of the postcard’s number (and if there is currently a bid on that postcard)
- Click on the SUBMIT BID button below
- Enter your details and your bid – note that bids should be in whole pounds and above £10
BIDDING HAS NOW CLOSED/strong>