• 1572

    John Lyon, a yeoman farmer, is granted a charter by Elizabeth I to found 'the Free Grammar School of John Lyon in the village of Harrow on the Hill' – later known as Harrow School.

     

  • 1650

    The first boarding house at Harrow School, Head Master's, opens as the number of ‘foreigners’ (fee-paying boys from outside the parish) begins to grow.

  • 1868

    As a result of the Royal Commission, the Public Schools Act allows Harrow, Eton, Winchester, Charterhouse, Rugby and Shrewsbury to adapt their original charters to meet new circumstances.

  • 1874

    Following the 1868 Act, ‘The Lower School of John Lyon in Harrow’ is formally established in line with John Lyon’s original intention of providing an education for local boys.

  • 1876

    The new School opens, following the construction of its own building on Middle Road. This building, known as Old Building, remains in use today.

  • 1891

    The first Old Lyonian dinner is held at Harrow Liberal Club.

  • 1861

    Royal Commission looks into the 'Present State of Popular Education in England'.

  • 1955

    JLS expands across Middle Road with the acquisition of the Red House.

  • 1965

    The Governors ratify the School's change of name to The John Lyon School.

  • 1991

    John Lyon’s Charity is established after the Charity Commission allows the revenue from John Lyon’s original endowment to support charitable purposes across nine London boroughs. Today JLS, Harrow School and John Lyon’s Charity are all part of John Lyon's Foundation.

  • 1997

    The Duke of Edinburgh opens the new John Lyon Sports Centre at the Middle Road site.

  • 2008

    New Science and Drama Building opened.

  • 2009

    The School's 12th Head, Miss Katherine Haynes, took up her post in September 2009.

  • 2011

    The Ernest Young Building opens, housing the School's dining facilities.

  • 2012

    The Thomas Blackwell Sixth Form Centre opens in September 2012, in what is affectionately called the Old Building. The official opening of the Thomas Blackwell Sixth Form Centre was conducted by the eminent economist Mr Liam Halligan (OL 1980-1987).

  • November 2012

    Le Beau House opens having undergone an extensive refurbishment project, housing the Bursary, Admissions and Almuni Relations Office. It was previously a police station and has been affectionately named the Old Police Building by local residents.